26 Jul 2017
Most who live in suburbia don’t expect to see wild animals however they are not that uncommon especially as they are pushed out of their natural areas by more development.
Here are a few things you can do to make your yard less friendly for them.
- Keep pet food put away and never leave it outside
- Never feed wild animals, if you do feed birds (which is not advised) keep bird feeders high up and make sure they are as squirrel proof as possible.
- Keep pets indoors, or under close supervision when outdoors
- Make sure trash is stored in proper containers with a lid
- Keep property tidy and rubbish cleaned up
- Install motion detection lights, which can also deter other unwanted activity
- Clean up any fallen fruit
If you do encounter a wild animal such as a Coyote
- Remain calm and don’t your back or run
- Be really loud, yell and clap your hands
- Get really big
- Keep your pet on a short leash
- Pick up small pets or small children so there is no temptation from the coyote to go after them
If you have more questions or concerns look at https://cpw.state.co.us or call 311.