Requires submittal of Design Review Request.
An awning is a roof-like shelter extending above a window, door, deck, or patio and is commonly made of canvas or a similar durable fabric. Awnings over patios or decks are often retractable. Awnings may also be referred to as overhangs. Rear-illuminated awnings or awnings illuminated from a lighting source mounted behind the awning are prohibited.
Evaluation Criteria for awnings include, but are not limited to:
- Materials and installation methods must be completed in accordance with manufacturers recommended procedures;
- Colors must be complementary to the building
- Height of retractable awnings over patios or decks shall not exceed 10 feet
- Reasonably conforms and harmonizes with surroundings
- Does not unreasonably obstruct or diminish the view of adjacent property owners
- Materials must be canvas or similar durable fabric that can withstand seasonal weather
Maintenance Criteria for awnings include, but are not limited to:
- When awnings become faded or worn, the fabric material must be promptly replaced or the awning removed.