Outdoor Kitchens & Permanently Installed Fireplaces and Firepits
Requires submittal of a Design Review Request.
Outdoor kitchens are a permanent, weather-resistant combination of a grill, storage cabinets, countertop, sink, and/or other kitchen features typically built into a patio or deck. An outdoor fireplace is a permanent, exterior wall mounted, gas or propane fireplace of similar construction to an indoor fireplace which is also incorporated into a patio or deck. Portable grills do not require Committee approval.
Evaluation Criteria for outdoor kitchens and fireplaces include, but are not limited to:
- Materials and installation methods must be appropriate;
- Integrates with the patio, deck, and/or landscape plan;
- Compliments the building architecture when appropriate;
- Reasonably conforms and harmonizes with surroundings;
- Screened or not immediately visible to adjacent property owners;
- Any utilities servicing kitchens or fireplaces shall be installed underground;
- Complies with applicable city building codes;
- Incorporates appropriate safety features (locks, covers) to deter unwanted users.